If you do not have many quality connections at the moment, that is okay. You are not alone. Many people feel isolated and alone in the world. Although this is your current state, it doesn’t have to be your future one. There are ways to build your connections so that way you are less isolated in the future.
Even if you already have a lot of connections, there's nothing wrong with looking for more. As social creatures, we love to be challenged by and engaged with a variety of people. So, these ideas might work for you even if you already have a large social support network.
How to Build Healthy Connections
Here are some good ideas to help you find connections for your social support network:
- Volunteer: One of the best ways to find connections is to volunteer at a local charity or organisation that you care about. Volunteering will allow you to connect with your community, as well as meet others who share similar interests and values. Not only will volunteering get you connections, but it will also help you connect to a deeper meaning at the same time.
- Join A Fitness Group: Another way to find connections is to join a fitness group. Since daily exercise should already be a part of your daily schedule, it is a good idea to join a group so that way you are continuing to exercise while meeting new people. Look at gyms in your area or go to a local Community Centre.
- Take A Class: You can also take a class at a local university, TAFE or Community Centre to meet new people interested in a similar topic. Not only will this class expose you to potential connections, but it will also cultivate your psychological resilience as it teaches you new hobbies and ideas.
- Look Online: With the modern age, one of the best ways to meet people is online. Joining Facebook groups or following inspirational people on Instagram can be a great way to connect with people with similar interests and mentalities. There are even online support groups, which will allow you to connect with people who are experiencing the same feelings as you. Make sure to pick a reputable site and be cautious about arranging in-person meetings.
How To Maintain Healthy Connections
Once you have met people who you like and want to deepen your relationship with, it is important to develop and maintain the connections. Here are some ways to nurture your relationships so that way they may turn into a healthy support system in the future:
- Stay in Touch: Always stay in touch. Answer phone calls, return emails, and offer invitations. This lets them know that you care about them.
- Don’t Be Jealous: Another way to develop your connections is to not be jealous whenever the other person succeeds. Show that person that you are happy for their success.
- Listen: Make sure to listen when the other person is talking. Though this may sound obvious, many people ruin relationships because they are too busy talking about themselves to listen to the other person.
- Give Back: If your friend is always available for you and listens to you, do the same for them. Give back whatever they give to you.
- Don’t Overdo It: Make sure not to be too overeager or overwhelm your friend with messages, calls, or talks of your feelings.
If you do these things, you are more likely to find and develop your relationships. Even if some of your connections have been around for years, it is important to maintain them so that way they will be there for you in the future as well.
Have you experienced any positive experiences when it comes to developing and maintaining relationships in your own life? Do you have any tips and tricks?